I “Liked” this post on Facebook and then had a short series of conversations with my good Chinese Friend. Reproducing below:
Here is the real map of China, along with the territories it has occupied by force at one point of time or other in the past.
Now it eyes Indian Territory of Ladakh, Aksai Chin and Arunachal Pradesh.
It’s funding heavily in Pakistan to create a proxy against India.
It’s expanding its navy, building roads and rails in Tibet/Himalayas region. All this is serious war posturing against India.
And as if this wasn’t enough, its media consistently showed a distorted map of India even while Narendra Modi was there with a message of mutual cooperation and peace.
Most Chinese live beyond Heihe–Tengchong Line
Must China be told that incessant pestering of its neighbours and unprovoked warmongering will destroy it, expose its boated economy run on communist books, and send it back to what this map represents?
My Chinese Friend: The person who made this map know nothing about Chinese history, I can make it better to misguided people, hah.
India should focus on its domestic problem and enhance your strength, not only express all your emotion which could cause a disaster in a democratic country.
Me: Lot of upset Indians since China has been claiming our territory in its maps. Plus people know East Turkestan (Xinxiang) and Tibet were annexed by China only in 1950’s. About rest, I am not much aware.. Read somewhere that Inner Mongolia was annexed in 1950’s too. Actually all these are a pent up frustration on Nehru dynasty coz after coming to India’s borders, China has nuclearized Pak & its created a security nightmare..
My Chinese Friend: XinJiang formally become Han dynasty 2 century BC, u can get this from google, and lost 400 years later, again in 7 century become part of Tam dynasty and last for 200 years, in 13 century become part of Yuan dynasty and last for 100years, in 17th century it become part of Qing dynasty and never lose it. If u ask one serious Indian historian, he will tell u this. For Tibet, it come to Yuan Dynasty in 13 century and last for 100 years, and become part of Qing dynasty since 17 century till now, all this u can google and find the Yuan/Qing dynasty historical map. Why Indian people always think Tibet is not part of China even they have the same feature, the reason is because of the geographic interest, with Tibet on top of India head, this is a disaster for India as a nation. What I am telling u is all truth. If I am an Indian, I will use China power to strengthen India, make northeast, Orissa or Some south state become a part of India permanently, then look west to acquire more interest from Middle East. To make China as an enemy is never what Modi want, he is a wise man.
Me: Dear Friend, I give below India’s viewpoint on the matter:
1. China assimilated all territories of its past invaders – Mongols who invaded China, Tibetans, East Turkestanis and so on. India, on the other hand, was partitioned and its territory of Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Maldives – was forcibly segregated into artificial countries. It is all in British/ Indian maps of that time.
2. The peculiar version of history which is taught to Chinese justifies each territory by one or other reason. It is a fact that each of these territories were totally free of Chinese control for hundreds of years and were only intermittently occupied. In many cases, only some kind of “Tribute” used to be paid to the Chinese emperors but then that was a common feature in Indian kingdoms too. Even the British used to hold a “Durbar” and extract “Tributes” from neighbouring states not under their control.
3. If you apply the same logic, then Kandhahar in Afghanistan was the birthplace of the primary person in Mahabharatha – Gandhari (she was born in Kandhahar); Maharaja Ranjit Singh ruled over entire Pakistan as recent as 1800’s and so on. India’s links are not facial features but cultural. The entire ASEAN (South East Asia) is dotted with Hindu/ Buddhist kingdoms, Central Asia was also under sway of Indian Buddhism, not to mention Myanmar, Tibet, Nepak, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Afghanistan! The language script of these countries comes from Sanskrit – even Tibetan! Lord Shiva idols and Buddha temples are found even as far as Saudi Arabia and parts of Africa.
4. Facial features can’t be basis for Chinese claims on any land – since if you go by that logic, then entire Siberia, Central Asia, South East Asia and many parts of India would be “Chinese”. What to say – even the Red Indians have Chinese features. So US belongs to China?
And so, you mean whole Africa is one nation? All whites are one nation and so on? And if one goes by facial features, then Indians have lot in common with Iranians, Mid East people etc – but that doesnt hold water..
5. The problem is very rightly pointed by you – that China is sitting on top of India’s head.. literally! Look at what China has done to India after reaching our borders in 1950’s – Nuclearised Pakistan, gave it weapons, occupied Aksai Chin and then attacked India in 1962. India gave its permanent seat in UN Security Council to China in 1950’s, but till date, China hasn’t reciprocated and is the only nation, among the 5, blocking India’s seat. Now, China is expecting us to give our territory to it (Arunachal)! China has also blocked India’s entry into Nuclear clubs and so on.
6. Regarding making any existing state of India “permanent”, I assure you India is powerful and self-sufficient enough to have a more than permanent existence. The only internal security challenge we face is from the “Maoists”, who have taken a lead from .. who else.. Mao himself! I’ll add something here – India is even more “Permanent” than China, in the sense that we were always sure of the right thing to do for responsible countries and hence never nuclearized Mongolia, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam or Myanmar!
7. I agree with you again on your last point – past is past, one has to live in the present and that calls for a peaceful existence with Tibet boundary – as I said before, Asia is sometimes too foolish. While we openly see US following a very peaceful model in its neighbourhood – open borders with Canada, free trade with Mexico and so on – here in Asia, we keep on fighting and hence I see China’s Silk road initiative as a step in the right direction. India should definitely board it and on its part, China should allow free movement of people across the boundary.
8. The coming together between India-China on a lot of fronts like BRICS Bank, The new World Bank, Infrastructure and so is indeed very welcome and Modi’s leadership is lauded in India for that. But I guess China has to do more like support India’s candidature for UN Permanent council seat, entry in Nuclear Suppliers group, roll back its support for Pakistan and indeed, use its influence on Pakistan to stop them on terrorism and so on.
Trust you’ll appreciate 🙂
My Chinese Friend: Heh, India strategic interest is located in Mid-Asia and Middle east, not in Southeast Asia. Iran who supported by Russia and Saudi Arabia supported by US in future will become India’s big obstacle to expand India influence. who control Middle east who own the world. Another point is there is no separatist in any country without your rival support, those separatist alone any country do not need worry, but once they are supported by your equal or more power entity, then you will be in trouble, big trouble.Like US did to Russia or China, if someday India and US relationship become worse, then India domestic problem will emerge and internationalized, this is how this politics played by US.
Me: Totally agree. Thats why I say India and China should unite for a prosperous Asia. With open borders, an EU type co-union.. maybe even a common currency someday. When borders are a problem, make them irrelevant! But my Friend, as you have again very rightly pointed out, some “Super Power” like USA wont let Asians come close. They will support Pak against India, Saudi’s against Iran, Japan against China, South Korea against North Korea and so on.. these Americans know the only way to maintain they supremacy is by a strong Dollar and if Asians unite, it’ll spell an end to their might! And hence I am happy India and China created the BRICS Bank. And hence also I am very enthused about China’s silk roads. About the Middle East – apart from Oil, they have only terrorism to contribute to the world and hence they only have nuisance value! Let them fight among themselves using Oil money.. What does India want from them apart from Oil? Nothing!